1. Call to order
Discussion: Chairman Betsy Landers called the Special Call Board Meeting to order at 8:31 am
2. Tenure Dismissal Proceedings
Recommended Motion(s): I move to adopt the recommended Resolution, passed with a motion by Board Member #1 and a second by Board Member #2.
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Chairman Landers informed that the purpose of this meeting was to consider charges proffered by the Director of Schools regarding Dr. Price Rayburn.
Ms. Valerie Speakman read the charges as follows:
WRITTEN CHARGES DIRECTED TO DR. PRICE RAYBURN
I, Jason Manuel, Director of Schools for the Germantown Municipal School District, charge Dr. Price Rayburn, a tenured teacher, with the following offenses:
I. Description of Charges:
1) Conduct unbecoming to a member of the teaching profession/unprofessional conduct as defined by T.C:A. § 49- 5 503.;
2) Insubordination as defined by T.C.A.§ 49-5-503.
II. Examples of actions in support of the charge of conduct unbecoming to a member of the teaching profession/unprofessional conduct, include but are not limited to:
1) Dr. Rayburn kissed students on the head and forehead;
2) On multiple occasions, Dr. Rayburn disrespected Houston High School parents, students and employees by yelling at them;
3) Dr. Rayburn engaged in inappropriate touching of students;
4) On multiple occasions, Dr. Rayburn bullied, threatened and intimidated Houston High School parents, students and employees;
5) Dr. Rayburn made inappropriate comments to students;
6) On multiple occasions, Dr. Rayburn engaged in inappropriate conversations with students;
7) Dr. Rayburn caused embarrassment to Germantown Municipal School District, Houston High School, its students, parents, employees and himself;
8) Dr. Rayburn exhibited poor decision making;
9) Dr. Rayburn exhibited poor classroom management;
10) Dr. Rayburn violated the Tennessee Teacher Code of Ethics (T.C.A. § 49-5-1001,
11) Dr. Rayburn violated the following GMSD policies: Staff Rights & Responsibilities, Policy #5.600; Ethics, Policy 5.611; Student Discrimination, Harassment, Bullying, Cyber-bullying, and Intimidation, Policy #6.304; Promoting Student Welfare, Policy #6.400; Child Abuse and Neglect, Policy
Ill. Examples of actions in support of the charge of insubordination include but are not limited to the following:
1) Based upon the examples set forth in support of the charge of conduct unbecoming to a member of the teaching profession/unprofessional conduct Dr. Rayburn has refused or continued to fail to obey the school laws of this state, to comply with GMSD policies, and follow the instructions of the Director of Schools;
2) On October 26, 2017, Dr. Rayburn received a written warning and suspension. In that written warning Dr. Rayburn was told· -that any further incidents of unprofessional conduct may result in further disciplinary action taken against you, including but not limited to suspension and/or termination of your employment. However, Dr. Rayburn continued to engage in acts of unprofessional conduct, as set forth above, after he received that warning.
Based on the foregoing Charges, individually and/or collectively, I recommend the dismissal of Dr. Price Rayburn.
Ms. Speakman said that based on these charges, Superintendent Jason Manuel recommended the following resolution that reads as follows;
BE IT RESOLVED, that the Germantown Municipal School District Board of Education at its May 14, 2018 meeting has entertained written Charges made by Jason Manuel, Germantown Municipal School District Director of Schools, against Dr. Price Rayburn, a tenured teacher in the Germantown Municipal School District, and the Board finds that the Charges individually and/or collectively are of such a nature as to warrant the dismissal of Dr. Price Rayburn as a tenured teacher.
The Charges shall be made a part of the Minutes of this Board, and the Director of Schools shall give the teacher a copy of said Charges, this Resolution and a copy of the form which has been approved by the State Commissioner of Education advising teachers of their legal rights and recourse under the Tennessee Teacher Tenure Act.
On this day of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ , 2018.
Chairman Landers asked if there was a motion on this resolution.
Discussion: The meeting was adjourned with consensus at 8:36 am